Complaints Regarding Food Premises

Details regarding where and who to contact regarding complaints in food business premises.

Food Complaints

Council will investigate complaints regarding:

  • retail businesses (except butchers), or
  • food poisoning affecting one household


The NSW Food Authority investigates complaints regarding:

  • butchers
  • food poisoning in more then one household
  • other issues relating to food safety & labelling

Click this link to access the complaints section of the NSW Food Authority web site.


Each complaint to Council is logged and considered carefully. We will investigate as appropriate, giving  priority to:

  • situations that will, or have the potential to, cause serious harm, and
  • patterns of similar incidents that suggest ongoing or broader issues.

To enable Council to investigate a complaint, we need:

  • a description of the problem
  • name & full street address of the business
  • product name, size and, if packaged, the date on the package, and
  • if it is suspected food poisoning:
    • time & date food consumed, and what was eaten
    • time & date illness began, symptoms and their severity.

Contact Details

NSW Food Authority

  • 1300 552 406 (8:30am - 5:30pm, Monday to Friday)
  • PO Box 6682, Silverwater NSW 1811
  • Interpreter service: telephone 131 450
    ask to speak to NSW Food Authority

Walgett Shire Council

Environmental Services
Phone: 02 6828 1399
Fax: 02 6828 1608