CarindaHistory of Carinda European settlers first came to the Carinda District in the mid 1800's settling along the waterways. The first settlement with a commercial centre was located near the present day Marthaguy Bridge, and relied upon Marthaguy Creek for water. It included some fine sops, a hotel with billiard room, a blacksmith and a baker's shop. Carinda was declared a village in 1890, and it is thought that the name was derived from an early recorded run called 'Gurrundy' in the 1950's. This run lapsed and in the 1860's, Thomas McNamara took up a nearby area and called it Carinda. He built a dwelling on the banks of the Marthaguy Creek and ran a hotel and store around which the village of Carinda grew. Thomas McNamara and his family are buried in historic graves at Carinda. In 1908 the Carinda Bore was sunk, enabling people to move away from the creek. A second settlement, known as "Top End", grew up where present day Carinda is situated.
- Walgett Visitor Information Centre
- Phone: 0268 286139