Come by ChanceHistory of Come By Chance This pleasantly named village on the Baradine Creek (known locally as the Bungle Gully Creek) was pioneered by early settlers around the 1850's.The name Come by Chance originated, when the sons of William Colless selected land in his name - previously informed, all lands in the area had been selected - hence the name of his property "Come by Chance Station". Mr Colless later owned the Post Office, Hotel, Police Station, Blacksmith Shop, Cemetery and other building blocks. Reputedly, the only privately owned village in the Sothern Hemisphere. Cattle were grazed in early days, then predominantly wool and since the late 1860's cereal crops have been grown. In the early days, people didn’t need as much land to make a living. In those days, 2560 acres of land was considered as a living area. Today at least 10,000 acres of land is needed to earn a living. The development of Artesian bore water, early this century was a terrific boost to primary production. It meant that properties could graze both Cattle and Sheep. The annual CBC Picnic Races have been held since 1947, with the first meeting concerning the idea held in 1946. The original race course was built behind the village, over towards the artesian bore. It was part of the stock route for years, until Dan. W. Atkinson fenced the land for W.D. Colless; it then became the Bore Paddock. The races are still held today and bring thousands of people out to the tiny village, the racecourse is now located at Gleneda owned by the Allerton Family.
- Walgett Visitor Information Centre
- Phone: 0268 286139