CryonHistory of Cryon Cryon probably began as a railway town, shortly before the railway line reached Cryon in 1905, because the line reached Cryon before Walgett. Cryon was for some time a staging post for rail passengers to be transported the rest of the way to Walgett. An eleven room hotel was built in 1905 to address the lack of accommodation for travellers to Cryon. In the early days Cryon was a thriving settlement with a hotel, stores, large trucking yards, and eventually a post office and provisional school. For a while Cryon would have been the closest rail head with large trucking yards for Queensland producers to transport their stock to Sydney markets. The provisional school operating early in the century was later closed, but re=opened in 1954. Cryon School was closed again in 1968, after which the students were taken to Burren Junction by bus; the school building was even relocated to Burren.
- Walgett Visitor Information Centre
- Phone: 0268 286139