Walgett Levee Bank Walk
The town of Walgett, situated on extensive plains only a couple of kilometres off the junction of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers, has been subject to major flooding by those rivers and their tributaries on various occasions over the years.
The record flood of 1890, which flooded the entire town was the highest recorded when the Barwon reached a peak of 13.84 metres. A brass plate on the old Post Office at the corner of Fox and Wee Waa streets, donates the height of the water in the town at that time. Other major floods followed in 1921 at 13,33 metres and in 1950 at 13.46 metres.
This flooding caused isolation and interruption to many services, supplies and day-to-day living in town. Landholders were also marooned by the floodwaters, so thoughts of constructing a levee bank started to take shape. Designs and surveys took place in the 1950s and by April 1961, tenders were called for the construction.
The successful tenderer's were Phillips Construction Pty Ltd. Twenty-two weeks later, using scrapers, bulldozers, graders and water carts; The first permanent levee bank in Australia was completed and is 8.2kilometres long.