Lorne Road FAQ

Published on 11 May 2024


In response to mounting safety concerns, the Local Area Traffic Committee, comprising of representatives from the Walgett Shire Council, Transport NSW, Local Member of Parliament and NSW Police, initiated the closure of Lorne Road. This decision was driven by the increased volume of trucks and caravans using the road and the removal of load limit signs by vandals.

Lorne Road also falls under the jurisdiction of Crown Lands and is not owned by the Walgett Shire Council.

Two significant cavities were identified near the Fred Reece Way intersection and there is concern that that volume of heavy traffic over these may cause the road to collapse. Department of Regional NSW (Crown Lands and the Mining, Exploration and Geosciences) are currently investigating these cavities to determine the best course of action.

Council are closely monitoring this situation and are working closely with State authorities with the intention of providing updates to the community as soon as information becomes available. We will also continue to work with affected residents to ensure safe access to their properties.

Please contact the Council if you have any further concerns or enquiries on 02 68286100 or admin@walgett.nsw.gov.au.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why was the road closed?
The road closure was initiated due to safety concerns arising from the cavities beneath the road surface near the Fred Reece Way intersection. This posed heightened risks for road users, especially considering the high volume of trucks and caravans traveling on the road. Unfortunately, load limit signs, intended to mitigate these risks, were removed by vandals.

How long will it be closed?
The duration of the closure depends on various factors, including the assessment of the cavities and the feasibility of repairs. Updates will be provided as soon as information becomes available.

What do I do if I am a landowner?
If you are a landowner affected by the closure, please be advised that the Council is currently working on upgrading access points on some roads. However, it's essential to note that some roads may be unable to be upgraded if they are not council-owned. For specific enquiries or assistance, please contact the Council's Infrastructure department.

Are there any alternative routes available?
Bill O'Brien Way is the alternative route if travelling along the Castlereagh Highway.

How can I stay informed about the road closure?
To stay informed about the road closure and any updates, please refer to official announcements from the Walgett Shire Council. Updates will be provided through various communication channels, including the council's website, social media platforms, and local news outlets (when there are significant updates). Alternatively you can contact us on 02 68286100 or admin@walgett.nsw.gov.au during office hours.





Tagged as: