Interesting Facts about Walgett Shire

Interesting Facts about Walgett Shire

  1. Walgett is the Kamilaroi word for ‘meeting of two waters’
  2. The single most significant political event to occur in Walgett was the civil rights protests. On 13 February 1965 – The Freedom Ride
  3. Just five years after Australians had supported the change in the Constitution, one young man from Walgett, Michael Anderson, with three other Aboriginal protesters, set up the Tent Embassy outside old Parliament House
  4. The first white men to set foot in the area were Oxley’s expedition to trace the Macquarie River.
  5. August 1972 – Portion of jaw bone containing four teeth discovered at “Goangra” has been identified by the New England University as belonging to the Dirpotodon family and is estimated to be between 500,000 and 1,00000 years old.
  6. Walgett man Frederick York Wolseley His first patent, for an improved version of the machine, was granted in March 1877.This was the world’s first successful shearing machine
  7. Walgett was the first town in inland NSW to construct a flood levee bank.
  8. Walgett’s public Golf course was among the first in NSW to be irrigated
  9. Walgett Silo is the largest temporary grain storage facility in the Southern Hemisphere, and in good seasons takes more wheat silo than any other in New South Wales.
  10. In September of 1861 the first paddle steamer reached Walgett. She was the Gemini captained by the Skipper William Randell
  11. A small paddleboat, the ‘Brewarrina’ was the only steamer in the history of the navigation of steamboats in these areas to travel as far as Collarenebri.
  12. The train finally steamed into Walgett on the 7th November 1908
  13. 1946 Butler Air introduced air travel into Walgett
  14. Walgett town hosts the NBD Beacon, making it an essential point of navigation for international flights entering or leaving Australia via northern routes.
  15. Walgett lies at the junction of the Barwon and Namoi rivers, which are the natural boundaries for the two traditional language groups who share the shire. They are the Kamilaroi and Uralarai groups
  16. Opal was first discovered at Lightning Ridge, by boundary rider Jack Murray in 1900, and has been mined since 1903
  17. Notorious bushranger Captain Thunderbolt is said to have roamed the Collarenebri area in 1866, holding people at gunpoint and relieving them of their hard-earned cash
  18. A young Edmund Barton, later to become Australia’s first Prime Minister, sat as a prosecutor in the first Quarter sessions at the newly built Walgett Court house in the late 1880s.
  19. 1907 – Value of opal won on the field had doubled to13, 000 pounds largely due to the discovery of ‘Black opal’ the number of miners averaged 125
  20. 1907 – Walgett Public school opened with 40 pupils
  21. 1963 – A grain silo was erected at Burren Junction with a capacity of 500,000 bushels
  22. December 1976 – Walgett’s wheat storage opened
  23. 1972 – Walgett High School opened
  24. Leisure World park with cabin style accommodation opened in 1975
  25. August 1938 – the Govenor of NSW opened a new hospital in Walget
  26. June 1911 – A football club was formed in Walgett, Lightning Ridge and Rowena
  27. In 1906 there were at least 15 hotels within a 30mile radius of Walgett
  28. Liberty Open Air Theatre in Collarenebri was first licensed on Valentines Day
  29. 1936 Collarenebri gets its name from “Collarindabri” which is aboriginal for “place of many flowers
  30. The name Come-By-Chance originated from the William Colless-owned Come-By-Chance Station. It was thought all the land had been allocated but as the name suggests one “came-by-chance” when it was found to have been missed during selection.
  31. Come-By-Chance was believed to be the only privately owned village in the Southern Hemisphere in??????
  32. Lightning Ridge is where the original goat races started approximately? years ago
  33. It was at Grawin that the largest of the districts famous opals, the “Light of the World” was founded in 1928
  34. Lightning Ridge “Home of the Black Opal”
  35. The Lightning Ridge Bore Baths were established in approximately 1960 and the hot bore water sits at an average temperature of 42 degrees Celcius
  36.  In 1902, three bridge workers were camped on the river near Walgett, caught a 250 pound, 113kg and measured 180cm long it is the largest ever recorded
  37.  Why do those on one side of the main street in Come-By-Chance not speak to the people living on the other side?
  38. The Doublet: The doublet is a slice of precious opal glued onto a backing of non-precious opal variety called potch
  39. The Triplet: The Triplet is simply a flat doublet with a domed clear quartz top glued to it
  40. The Solid: The most important stone of all is the solid with a precious opal face and a natural potch backing
  41.  The name Carinda is thought to derive from an early recorded ‘run’ called ‘Gurrundy’ in the 1850’s. This ‘run’ lapsed and in the 1860’s, Thomas McNamara took up a nearby area and called it Carinda. He built a dwelling on the banks of the Marthaguy Creek and ran a hotel and store, around which the village of Carinda grew. Thomas McNamara and his family are buried in the Historic Graves.
  42. The Aboriginal people who inhabited the area around Carinda before European settlement were from the Weil tribe
  43. Opal was first found in 1908 near Hammond’s Hill. Then in 1920 there was great excitement when an opal the size of a man’s fist was found at Richard’s Hill. The opal weighed almost 11 pounds (450 grams) and was named the “light of the world”. First discovery at Glengarry in 1970, of a rich new seam of opal in Millionaires’ Gully. The next major rush of people to the area started on Melbourne Cup day in 1985, when a couple wandering among the paddocks found opal near some old sheep yards. The latest strike called Shield’s Mulga Rush was found in early 2000, by a local miner and his son
  44. A number of famous stones have been found at Lightning Ridge, including the 822 g ‘Big Ben’ and the ‘Flame Queen’, which was sold for £80 because the miner hadn’t eaten a proper meal for three weeks.
  45. 1838 that the first settler arrived and called his property ‘Walgett’
  46. Cobb and Co began a coach service in 1877.
  47. Frederick York Wolseley invented and engineered the first mechanical shearing machine.  The machine operated handpiece was first acknowledged in March 1877 and paved the future of the wool industry, as we know it today

Interesting Facts about Walgett Shire

  1. Walgett is the Kamilaroi word for ‘meeting of two waters’
  2. The single most significant political event to occur in Walgett was the civil rights protests. On 13 February 1965 – The Freedom Ride
  3. Just five years after Australians had supported the change in the Constitution, one young man from Walgett, Michael Anderson, with three other Aboriginal protesters, set up the Tent Embassy outside old Parliament House
  4. The first white men to set foot in the area were Oxley’s expedition to trace the Macquarie River.
  5. August 1972 – Portion of jaw bone containing four teeth discovered at “Goangra” has been identified by the New England University as belonging to the Dirpotodon family and is estimated to be between 500,000 and 1,00000 years old.
  6. Walgett man Frederick York Wolseley His first patent, for an improved version of the machine, was granted in March 1877.This was the world’s first successful shearing machine
  7. Walgett was the first town in inland NSW to construct a flood levee bank.
  8. Walgett’s public Golf course was among the first in NSW to be irrigated
  9. Walgett Silo is the largest temporary grain storage facility in the Southern Hemisphere, and in good seasons takes more wheat silo than any other in New South Wales.
  10. In September of 1861 the first paddle steamer reached Walgett. She was the Gemini captained by the Skipper William Randell
  11. A small paddleboat, the ‘Brewarrina’ was the only steamer in the history of the navigation of steamboats in these areas to travel as far as Collarenebri.
  12. The train finally steamed into Walgett on the 7th November 1908
  13. 1946 Butler Air introduced air travel into Walgett
  14. Walgett town hosts the NBD Beacon, making it an essential point of navigation for international flights entering or leaving Australia via northern routes.
  15. Walgett lies at the junction of the Barwon and Namoi rivers, which are the natural boundaries for the two traditional language groups who share the shire. They are the Kamilaroi and Uralarai groups
  16. Opal was first discovered at Lightning Ridge, by boundary rider Jack Murray in 1900, and has been mined since 1903
  17. Notorious bushranger Captain Thunderbolt is said to have roamed the Collarenebri area in 1866, holding people at gunpoint and relieving them of their hard-earned cash
  18. A young Edmund Barton, later to become Australia’s first Prime Minister, sat as a prosecutor in the first Quarter sessions at the newly built Walgett Court house in the late 1880s.
  19. 1907 – Value of opal won on the field had doubled to13, 000 pounds largely due to the discovery of ‘Black opal’ the number of miners averaged 125
  20. 1907 – Walgett Public school opened with 40 pupils
  21. 1963 – A grain silo was erected at Burren Junction with a capacity of 500,000 bushels
  22. December 1976 – Walgett’s wheat storage opened
  23. 1972 – Walgett High School opened
  24. Leisure World park with cabin style accommodation opened in 1975
  25. August 1938 – the Govenor of NSW opened a new hospital in Walget
  26. June 1911 – A football club was formed in Walgett, Lightning Ridge and Rowena
  27. In 1906 there were at least 15 hotels within a 30mile radius of Walgett
  28. Liberty Open Air Theatre in Collarenebri was first licensed on Valentines Day
  29. 1936 Collarenebri gets its name from “Collarindabri” which is aboriginal for “place of many flowers
  30. The name Come-By-Chance originated from the William Colless-owned Come-By-Chance Station. It was thought all the land had been allocated but as the name suggests one “came-by-chance” when it was found to have been missed during selection.
  31. Come-By-Chance was believed to be the only privately owned village in the Southern Hemisphere in??????
  32. Lightning Ridge is where the original goat races started approximately? years ago
  33. It was at Grawin that the largest of the districts famous opals, the “Light of the World” was founded in 1928
  34. Lightning Ridge “Home of the Black Opal”
  35. The Lightning Ridge Bore Baths were established in approximately 1960 and the hot bore water sits at an average temperature of 42 degrees Celcius
  36.  In 1902, three bridge workers were camped on the river near Walgett, caught a 250 pound, 113kg and measured 180cm long it is the largest ever recorded
  37.  Why do those on one side of the main street in Come-By-Chance not speak to the people living on the other side?
  38. The Doublet: The doublet is a slice of precious opal glued onto a backing of non-precious opal variety called potch
  39. The Triplet: The Triplet is simply a flat doublet with a domed clear quartz top glued to it
  40. The Solid: The most important stone of all is the solid with a precious opal face and a natural potch backing
  41.  The name Carinda is thought to derive from an early recorded ‘run’ called ‘Gurrundy’ in the 1850’s. This ‘run’ lapsed and in the 1860’s, Thomas McNamara took up a nearby area and called it Carinda. He built a dwelling on the banks of the Marthaguy Creek and ran a hotel and store, around which the village of Carinda grew. Thomas McNamara and his family are buried in the Historic Graves.
  42. The Aboriginal people who inhabited the area around Carinda before European settlement were from the Weil tribe
  43. Opal was first found in 1908 near Hammond’s Hill. Then in 1920 there was great excitement when an opal the size of a man’s fist was found at Richard’s Hill. The opal weighed almost 11 pounds (450 grams) and was named the “light of the world”. First discovery at Glengarry in 1970, of a rich new seam of opal in Millionaires’ Gully. The next major rush of people to the area started on Melbourne Cup day in 1985, when a couple wandering among the paddocks found opal near some old sheep yards. The latest strike called Shield’s Mulga Rush was found in early 2000, by a local miner and his son
  44. A number of famous stones have been found at Lightning Ridge, including the 822 g ‘Big Ben’ and the ‘Flame Queen’, which was sold for £80 because the miner hadn’t eaten a proper meal for three weeks.
  45. 1838 that the first settler arrived and called his property ‘Walgett’
  46. Cobb and Co began a coach service in 1877.
  47. Frederick York Wolseley invented and engineered the first mechanical shearing machine.  The machine operated handpiece was first acknowledged in March 1877 and paved the future of the wool industry, as we know it today