18 Nov Australia Day Awards 2021 Announced
WALGETT SHIRE COUNCIL AUSTRALIA DAY CELEBRATIONS
The day commenced at Walgett Sporting Club with a community breakfast where over 100 local community members joined in, and was followed by the official award presentations by guest Australia Day Ambassador, John Moriarty.
This year’s Walgett Shire’s Australia Day Award recipients were as follows:
• Citizen of the Year – Chris Clemson (Walgett)
• Student Citizenship Award –Joint winners: Ashley Sharpe & Sam Yeomans ( Walgett)
• Health Award – Christian Mpofu ( Collarenebri )
• Business Award – Walgett Aboriginal Medical Service (WAMS)
• Young Citizen of the Year – Jayda Seaton ( Lightning Ridge)
• Volunteer of the Year Award – Daniel Walford ( Walgett)
• Lifetime Achievement Award – Christine Corby ( Walgett)
Mayor Ian Woodcock said today he was pleased with the support for the event from the local community. A highlight of the day was the address by Australia Day Ambassador John Moriarty who also took the time to tour the Walgett and Lightning Ridge communities.
Council’s General Manager Michael Urquhart said ‘It was a great opportunity to reflect on how fortunate we are to live here in Australia and to celebrate contemporary Australia as well as acknowledge our history’. Mr Urquhart was very pleased that around 550 people attended the four Australia Day events held in the Shire.
“I would like to congratulate not only the winners of the various awards but the many others who were nominated as well. I would also like to thank everyone who submitted nominations for this year’s awards and the Walgett Sporting Club for hosting this year’s celebrations” Mayor Ian Woodcock concluded.
Walgett Shire Council PO Box 31, Walgett NSW 2832
Telephone: (02) 6828 6100 Facsimile: (02) 6828 1608 Email: email@example.com