walgett

WALGETT

Walgett Visitor Information Centre – 88 Fox St  02 6828 6139

Call into the VIC for a wide range of information and maps on the local and surrounding areas. Souvenirs including local arts and crafts, postcards designed by local artists and photographers, woodwork, local Aboriginal art and opal jewellery.

The Visitor information centre has self guided tours available. There is also information on all the local attractions such as maps for the “Car Door Tours” in Lightning Ridge, mud maps for the Grawin Opal Fields, bird watching brochures for the Macquarie Marshes, great tips for fishing spots along the Barwon and many more local attractions both in Walgett and the surrounding Shire.

 

Walgett Artesian Bore Baths – Castlereagh Highway (Fox St)

In 1901 the first bore in Walgett was sunk, starting what has become the single most saving supply of water in the area; the tapping of the artesian basin. Today the bore baths in the region allow locals and visitors to soak away their aches and pains while farmers rely on the free flowing bore heads and the more recently capped and piped bores for supplying water to their large acreage.

Open March to October

The Artesian Bore Baths at Walgett are closed until further notice – sorry for any inconvenience. As at April 2017

 

Bourke/ Walgett School of Distance Education –

Walgett Primary School ( Wareena St) 02 68 28 1374

Bourke-Walgett SODE is the newest Distance Education School in NSW. The Centres attached to Bourke P.S. and Walgett P.S. were combined in November 2005. We were the last school in NSW to broadcast by radio and the last to begin satellite broadcasts. Our school caters for students across the top-end of NSW, an area the size of two Tasmania’s! Many of our students are home isolated, but we also have travellers, medical and behavioural enrolments. students are provided with broadband internet access via satellite. Students also have computers, printers, scanners, digital cameras and graphic tablets. This technology allows students to access the internet and send emails while not engaged in satellite lessons. Students work is packed in weekly sets which are completed and returned to the school for marking. Students are able to read to their teachers each week. The readings are attached to and sent by email.

 

Dharriwaa Elders Group Fox St  02 68 28 2619

Dharriwaa Elders Group can provide you with  local aboriginal history, artifacts and knowledge.

The Dharriwaa Elders Group have also developed a tour of Walgett including all the places the Group would like to share with you

Dharriwaa Elders Walgett Tour There is some wonderful history and information to be gleaned along the way

Walgett Historical Society Fox St  0268 28 1678

The Historical Society is located in the original Walgett Shire Building built in 1913. It features a splendid example of the pressed tin interiors; believed to be the only example left in our area. Walgett means the “meeting of two waters” and the Historical Society has an extensive display of photographs depicting life on the rivers including paddle boat steamers and agriculture.

Frederick York Wolseley invented the first mechanical shearing machine and many other agricultural implements on Euroka Station. The society has a wonderful display of his inventions.

The Society has a vast collection of genealogical information and members can assist with family history research on request.

 

Walgett Masonic Lodge & Museum Euroka St    02 68 28 1678

Freemasonry commenced in Walgett in 1892. That year within a period of three days, lodges at Narrabri, Coonamble and Walgett were opened of the three lodges only Narrabri is still operating. The Walgett Lodge building was purchased by the Walgett Shire Council when the lodge closed and the regalia and Masonic artefacts were given to the Walgett Historical Society and is maintained as a working Masonic Lodge and Masonic Museum. There are only two Masonic Museums in NSW – Sydney and Walgett.

Alex Trevallion Park – Castlereagh Highway

Aboriginal Welcome Sign & Wolseley stuff

Read about the life and culture of local Gamilaraay people.

Scoops

Scarred Trees, Barwon Inn Rest Area, Kamilaroi Highway

Located approximately 5km out of town (towards Brewarrina)  and  about 500m along the Brewon Road to the right along side the Barwon River.The Scarred Trees located in the cages originally grew in the area but were unfortunately removed  due to the relocation of the new & current Dangar Bridge in 2003.

NBD Beacon  Euroka Street

Walgett hosts the beacon making it an essential point of navigation for international flights entering or leaving Australia via northern routes

Walgett Grain Silo Castlereagh Highway

Largest temporary grain storage facility in the Southern Hemisphere, holding approximately 300,000 tonnes when at full capacity.

Norman Tracker Walford Walkway

The Walford Track is a 1.5 km scenic walk along the Namoi River which includes the historic Pioneer’s Graves located at the beginning of the Norman tracker Walford Walkway were members of the Hoath family one of the earliest pioneering families to arrive and settle in Walgett. They took up the property ‘Wimbledon’ on the Barwon River not far from the present town.

Floods & Levee Bank

The town of Walgett, situated on extensive plains only a couple of kilometres off the junction of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers, has been subject to major flooding by those rivers and their tributaries on various occasions over the years.

The record flood of 1890, which flooded the entire town was the highest recorded when the Barwon reached a peak of 13.84 metres. A brass plate on the old Post Office at the corner of Fox and Wee Waa streets, donates the height of the water in the town at that time. Other major floods followed in 1921 at 13,33 metres and in 1950 at 13.46 metres.

This flooding caused isolation and interruption to many services, supplies and day-to-day living in town. Landholders were also marooned by the floodwaters, so thoughts of constructing a levee bank started to take shape. Designs and surveys took place in the 1950s and by April 1961, tenders were called for the construction.

The successful tenderer’s were Phillips Construction Pty Ltd. Twenty-two weeks later, using scrapers, bulldozers, graders and water carts; The first permanent levee bank in Australia was completed and is 8.2kilometres long.

 

Mary O’Brien Plaque – Airport

The 1980’s saw Mary O’Brien achieve the highest aviation appointment given to a woman when made Examiner of Airmen in 1987

Bullock Wagon – Apex Park

The Historical Bullock Wagon in the park was the means of transport by which many of the goods and supplies were brought to Walgett in the early days

Railway Viaduct – Apex Park

The railway viaduct carried trains across the two mile Warrambool into the Walgett Railway Station. The structure is considered a masterpiece of its time when it was constructed around 1905-1907 prior to the arrival of the Walgett Railway Station in 1908. It has not been used since the 1970’s when the last passenger train ran.

Walgett Court House. Fox St

Built in 1881, A young Edmund Barton, later to become Australia’s first Prime Minister, sat as a prosecutor in the first Quarter Sessions at the newly built court house in the late 1880’s.

Walgett Cemetery – Bate St

Fishing

Throw a line in and try your luck. You may be lucky enough to catch a Murray Cod, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Yabbie, Freshwater Catfish or a  Bony Bream. You will almost certainly catch a European Carp!

War Memorial Monument

The War Memorial Monument was built in 1923 to commemorate our service men and women of World War I, it now commemorates service men and women from all wars. The marble soldier was imported from France there is at least one other monument in Australia with the same soldier. A march and service is held beneath this monument each ANZAC day

War Memorial Park – Fox St

Developed & Maintained by the RSL, this project was developed in remembrance of our service men and women.

Walgett Gaol – Gray Park

Distance and the lack of transport ensured that a gaol was needed at Walgett. The Gaol established in the 1880’s once stood in Gray Park, surrounded by high brick walls made at the Walgett Brick Works. The well from which water was drawn for the gaol is fenced in the centre of the park a photo of the gaol stands alongside it.

Dharriwaa Elders Group Centre

WALGETT

Walgett Visitor Information Centre – 88 Fox St  02 6828 6139

Call into the VIC for a wide range of information and maps on the local and surrounding areas. Souvenirs including local arts and crafts, postcards designed by local artists and photographers, woodwork, local Aboriginal art and opal jewellery.

The Visitor information centre has self guided tours available. There is also information on all the local attractions such as maps for the “Car Door Tours” in Lightning Ridge, mud maps for the Grawin Opal Fields, bird watching brochures for the Macquarie Marshes, great tips for fishing spots along the Barwon and many more local attractions both in Walgett and the surrounding Shire.

 

Walgett Artesian Bore Baths – Castlereagh Highway (Fox St)

In 1901 the first bore in Walgett was sunk, starting what has become the single most saving supply of water in the area; the tapping of the artesian basin. Today the bore baths in the region allow locals and visitors to soak away their aches and pains while farmers rely on the free flowing bore heads and the more recently capped and piped bores for supplying water to their large acreage.

Open March to October

The Artesian Bore Baths at Walgett are closed until further notice – sorry for any inconvenience. As at April 2017

 

Bourke/ Walgett School of Distance Education –

Walgett Primary School ( Wareena St) 02 68 28 1374

Bourke-Walgett SODE is the newest Distance Education School in NSW. The Centres attached to Bourke P.S. and Walgett P.S. were combined in November 2005. We were the last school in NSW to broadcast by radio and the last to begin satellite broadcasts. Our school caters for students across the top-end of NSW, an area the size of two Tasmania’s! Many of our students are home isolated, but we also have travellers, medical and behavioural enrolments. students are provided with broadband internet access via satellite. Students also have computers, printers, scanners, digital cameras and graphic tablets. This technology allows students to access the internet and send emails while not engaged in satellite lessons. Students work is packed in weekly sets which are completed and returned to the school for marking. Students are able to read to their teachers each week. The readings are attached to and sent by email.

 

Dharriwaa Elders Group Fox St  02 68 28 2619

Dharriwaa Elders Group can provide you with  local aboriginal history, artifacts and knowledge.

The Dharriwaa Elders Group have also developed a tour of Walgett including all the places the Group would like to share with you

Dharriwaa Elders Walgett Tour There is some wonderful history and information to be gleaned along the way

Walgett Historical Society Fox St  0268 28 1678

The Historical Society is located in the original Walgett Shire Building built in 1913. It features a splendid example of the pressed tin interiors; believed to be the only example left in our area. Walgett means the “meeting of two waters” and the Historical Society has an extensive display of photographs depicting life on the rivers including paddle boat steamers and agriculture.

Frederick York Wolseley invented the first mechanical shearing machine and many other agricultural implements on Euroka Station. The society has a wonderful display of his inventions.

The Society has a vast collection of genealogical information and members can assist with family history research on request.

 

Walgett Masonic Lodge & Museum Euroka St    02 68 28 1678

Freemasonry commenced in Walgett in 1892. That year within a period of three days, lodges at Narrabri, Coonamble and Walgett were opened of the three lodges only Narrabri is still operating. The Walgett Lodge building was purchased by the Walgett Shire Council when the lodge closed and the regalia and Masonic artefacts were given to the Walgett Historical Society and is maintained as a working Masonic Lodge and Masonic Museum. There are only two Masonic Museums in NSW – Sydney and Walgett.

Alex Trevallion Park – Castlereagh Highway

Aboriginal Welcome Sign & Wolseley stuff

Read about the life and culture of local Gamilaraay people.

Scoops

Scarred Trees, Barwon Inn Rest Area, Kamilaroi Highway

Located approximately 5km out of town (towards Brewarrina)  and  about 500m along the Brewon Road to the right along side the Barwon River.The Scarred Trees located in the cages originally grew in the area but were unfortunately removed  due to the relocation of the new & current Dangar Bridge in 2003.

NBD Beacon  Euroka Street

Walgett hosts the beacon making it an essential point of navigation for international flights entering or leaving Australia via northern routes

Walgett Grain Silo Castlereagh Highway

Largest temporary grain storage facility in the Southern Hemisphere, holding approximately 300,000 tonnes when at full capacity.

Norman Tracker Walford Walkway

The Walford Track is a 1.5 km scenic walk along the Namoi River which includes the historic Pioneer’s Graves located at the beginning of the Norman tracker Walford Walkway were members of the Hoath family one of the earliest pioneering families to arrive and settle in Walgett. They took up the property ‘Wimbledon’ on the Barwon River not far from the present town.

Floods & Levee Bank

The town of Walgett, situated on extensive plains only a couple of kilometres off the junction of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers, has been subject to major flooding by those rivers and their tributaries on various occasions over the years.

The record flood of 1890, which flooded the entire town was the highest recorded when the Barwon reached a peak of 13.84 metres. A brass plate on the old Post Office at the corner of Fox and Wee Waa streets, donates the height of the water in the town at that time. Other major floods followed in 1921 at 13,33 metres and in 1950 at 13.46 metres.

This flooding caused isolation and interruption to many services, supplies and day-to-day living in town. Landholders were also marooned by the floodwaters, so thoughts of constructing a levee bank started to take shape. Designs and surveys took place in the 1950s and by April 1961, tenders were called for the construction.

The successful tenderer’s were Phillips Construction Pty Ltd. Twenty-two weeks later, using scrapers, bulldozers, graders and water carts; The first permanent levee bank in Australia was completed and is 8.2kilometres long.

 

Mary O’Brien Plaque – Airport

The 1980’s saw Mary O’Brien achieve the highest aviation appointment given to a woman when made Examiner of Airmen in 1987

Bullock Wagon – Apex Park

The Historical Bullock Wagon in the park was the means of transport by which many of the goods and supplies were brought to Walgett in the early days

Railway Viaduct – Apex Park

The railway viaduct carried trains across the two mile Warrambool into the Walgett Railway Station. The structure is considered a masterpiece of its time when it was constructed around 1905-1907 prior to the arrival of the Walgett Railway Station in 1908. It has not been used since the 1970’s when the last passenger train ran.

Walgett Court House. Fox St

Built in 1881, A young Edmund Barton, later to become Australia’s first Prime Minister, sat as a prosecutor in the first Quarter Sessions at the newly built court house in the late 1880’s.

Walgett Cemetery – Bate St

Fishing

Throw a line in and try your luck. You may be lucky enough to catch a Murray Cod, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Yabbie, Freshwater Catfish or a  Bony Bream. You will almost certainly catch a European Carp!

War Memorial Monument

The War Memorial Monument was built in 1923 to commemorate our service men and women of World War I, it now commemorates service men and women from all wars. The marble soldier was imported from France there is at least one other monument in Australia with the same soldier. A march and service is held beneath this monument each ANZAC day

War Memorial Park – Fox St

Developed & Maintained by the RSL, this project was developed in remembrance of our service men and women.

Walgett Gaol – Gray Park

Distance and the lack of transport ensured that a gaol was needed at Walgett. The Gaol established in the 1880’s once stood in Gray Park, surrounded by high brick walls made at the Walgett Brick Works. The well from which water was drawn for the gaol is fenced in the centre of the park a photo of the gaol stands alongside it.

Dharriwaa Elders Group Centre